Sunday, March 25, 2012

Beware - airport yellow-green meter taxi

Just got back the other day from Bangkok. Following advices from this forum I took the yellow-green metered taxi to downtown at exit 10 of arrival floor. I was given a slip for my destination to Soi Convent in Silom. The driver was soft-spoken and courteous and seems like nothing could go wrong. Previous post had stated that the meter cost will be somewhere around 250 and 300 Baht, excluding airport 50 Baht fee and toll fee of 70 Baht. However, halfway through my ride the taxi meter already registered 400 Baht, and the number was rolling like the balls falling from a Pachinko machine, it slows down only when the driver noticed I was already staring at the meter continuously. By the time it reached Silom it registered 600 Baht. That is without traffic. Knowing I will be making some fuzz, the driver would not stop right in front of the hotel but further on. I did tell him his meter is too fast, and he replied it鈥檚 a new meter. The same type of yellow-green taxi I took to go back to the airport on my departure cost only 245 Baht, excluding 70 Baht toll fee.





This post is to narrate my experience and to warn people that taking green-yellow meter public taxi is not without a glitch, I would say it鈥檚 a matter of luck whether you end up with an honest or a dishonest one. This posting is not meant to single-out any country as having dishonest cab-drivers ripping off tourist. I hope nobody will post a stupid opinion that since I come from a better off place it serves me right to pay more.



Beware - airport yellow-green meter taxi


It is ok to pay more than normal, as long as it is your choice.. That is called tipping. To screw you for even one Bhat is cheating a bit, But to be expected, To mess with taxi meters is against the LAW.. Shame on them. I always try to tip a few Bhat, and during rush hour, when taxi driver is frustrated at being in traffic i give a bit more. I can afford it, but it is my choice. Hope you did not let one Jerk mess your trip up. . Think what that trip would cost in New York City. or Chicago.. LOL..



Beware - airport yellow-green meter taxi


So Emerson this is an interesting thread. I%26#39;m in BKK for the first time in a couple of weeks with my wife so is there a way out of this issue, cause dishonesty beats me and is completely wrong, is there an safe alternative or does anybody know how to get to Sukhumvit (Nana) in another area of the airport, whats the non green/yellow cabs like?? I hear if I get to Nut BST I%26#39;ll be on track for Nana skytain stop, are using buses to heavy a burden??




400B Max to NANA,, about $12 us.. not bad for a 40 min trip. Talk to the driver, Most are pretty ok. You can also ask price before getting into the taxi. Bangkok taxis are much newer and cleaner than in Manila, and other areas I have been in.. Some old ones but most are ok. Most rides should only be 60-100 Bhat, unless you go a long distance. You should get a taxi to go to Patpong market at night.,. it is great, and many ';night clubs'; on each side of about 200 stalls. If you get hot shopping, just go inside for cool drink.. Careful of the shows though..




The Yellow/Green taxis are Bangkok%26#39;s largest taxi co-op, and 99% of drivers are very honest. Meters were adjusted recently when fares increased and some meters had problems, something widely discussed in the Thai press.




you could also get the bus - 150 baht and NO chance of being ripped off !!!




';99% of drivers are very honest';





Pulled another one out of the hat!





The number of encounters with dishonest drivers will increase in direct proportion to one%26#39;s lack of familiarity with Bangkok, and/or their nationality.




Curtis - there are dishonest taxi drivers in every city in the world. Most Bangkok taxi drivers are hard working honest people Unfortunately, dishonest drivers hang around tourist spots looking for an easy touch. There are regular stories in the press of taxi driver returning forgotten property - including large sum of cash. Don%26#39;t paint them all with the same tar brush.




Oat-





I am simply pointing out that a tourist%26#39;s encounter will often be a completely different experience than someone local. And, if the local is Thai, one will realize an even bigger difference.





This said, there is little difference in integrity, based on the different color of the taxi. Since the vast majority of drivers rent the taxi, the ';honesty'; is up to the driver, not the taxi.




Airports and taxis,there,s a good chance people are getting turned over ever where,i knew some chaps in the 80,s who knocked out dodgy money picking up tourists at heathrow,use to see them on samui for three month,s of the year.Every sorry.My fares in to bangkok have varied 400 up to a nine hundred no change,the 400 hundred got 500 and the 900 no change got a look of contempt and you swear word muttered under my breath then i moved on.Try to avoided any taxi,s hanging around hotels,and have a chat on the plane and jump in together might get it down to silly money say 3 pound each for a good 40 minutes,its a bargain,the bus who care,s.happy new year




I usually find that the more the taxi driver wants to ( and is able to) speak English, the more likely he is to try and rip me off by taking a wrong turning or a long way round! Those with whom I can speak Thai seem more than happy to go directly from A to B.

No comments:

Post a Comment