Monday, April 23, 2012

sharks and jelifish ?

Hey all the nice people in trip advisor.





So I wanted to know is it safe to swium at Karon beach or not, is there is any sharks or hard waves ,currents, jelifish?





I just wanted to be in the safe side.



I knew that the weather will be really hot like 37,38 degree.





Thank you alll





Tony



sharks and jelifish ?


The wind is changing now and so are the currents.



Karon beach is notorious for currents. Just watch the flags on the beach and do not swim with a red flag.



Even though I know there are sharks in the sea, I have never encountered one. And Thailand is still free of unprovoked shark injuries. No worries there.



From Karon, you can easily walk to Kata, where the beach is a lot nicer and safer.



sharks and jelifish ?


%26gt;%26gt;%26gt;Even though I know there are sharks in the sea, I have never encountered one. And Thailand is still free of unprovoked shark injuries.%26lt;%26lt;%26lt;





Not actually true after what happened to a Thai off Kamala a few years ago but it got hushed up.





There are jellies about on the west coast but they aren%26#39;t deadly. The rip currents you don%26#39;t need to really worry about until May onwards when it gets rainy and windy.




Hi Tony



You did not mention what time of year you are planning on coming to Phuket?





During our high season months between November to end of April the swimming and snorkelling is great along the west coast which includes Karon beach. On some days the waves on Karon can crash quite hard close to the beach making the entry a bit rough. During the rest of the year it is advisable not to swim off these beaches due to the strong rip tides then.





Otherwise we do occassionally get jelly fish especially when we have strong onshore winds which usually happens around Jan/Feb off Karon beach. This year we had quite a few jellies in Jan. Also for the past week off Karon beach there are 2 juvenile blacktip sharks swimming at less than a meters depth. They are honestly not harmful. I saw one of them (less than 1/2 meter in length) yesterday whilst doing my daily swim there.





If you want to know more about them you can PM me as I have a recent video of 1 of these beautiful creatures on my blog (I am not allowed to supply a link to my blog here).





Hope this helps.



Chantal




Oh and forgot to mention that there are more sharks on land than at sea:)) It is not usual to see sharks so close to the shore so this is a very rare.




Thank you all for replying





I was planning to visit phuket in the mid of April.





But now I have almost clear idea about everything.





Thank you alll





Tony




Chantal :) more on land than sea LOL




So many others just put in their blog, whether ansering something or not, just saying have a look at my blog, can%26#39;t see why you can%26#39;t put in useful information


  • topical cream
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment