Monday, April 23, 2012

Tuxedo Tailor

I%26#39;m going to Bangko and Cambodia in May,



I need to get a Tuxedo made for my wedding.



I%26#39;m in Bangkok for 4 days which I think should be enough time,





any recommendations, preferably around Nanas sky train area,





thanks



Tuxedo Tailor


My tailor Pinky has made a great tuxedo for my husband just a while ago:





Pinky Tailor, BTS Skytrain Ploenchit Station (Exit no 2 or 6)



Adress 888/40 Mahatun Plaza Arcade Ploenchit Road, tel 66 (0) 2252-9680, 2253-5055, 2253-6328





His shop is well hidden in the very end of the soi, you can just and just see his sign when standing on Ploenchit Road below the BTS station.



Tuxedo Tailor


How much did it cost please and how long did it take to make?




This whole Sukhumvit area is a tourist trap. Most of these tailors are connected by family.



It doesn%26#39;t really matter which one you choose, they all use a sweatshop. Quality of your garment depends on which sweatshop guy/girl stitches your tuxedo.





Don%26#39;t use Moonriver at Asoke. A friend of mine gave me her feedback about a shirt she had ordered there.





If you search this forum re tailors you will find that most recommendations are posted by the tailors themselves. No doubt those will appear on this thread too.





IMO 4 days for a Tuxedo is short. Allow corrections and fittings. Never tell him your departure date. The Tux will arrive 2 mins before you leave.




I had a tux made at Rajawongse on Sukhumvit, just up from Soi 4 (not far from the Nana BTS station). I was very happy with the quality and the fit (we did two fittings) was perfect. Cost was 14,000 baht, and that included cummerbun, shirt studs and cufflinks (if you need them) and two bow ties. Rajawongse has been in business for a long time and seems to enjoy a good reputation with local expats, which is why I tried them.





Yes, they are in Sukhumvit, but that doesn%26#39;t necessarily mean that it%26#39;s a ';tourist trap';. Sukhumvit is the area with a large concentration of resident expats as well as tourists, so it%26#39;s a logical place to locate a tailor shop that is geared towards westerners.




I don%26#39;t think I%26#39;ve seen Rajawongse spamming here. What makes you say that?





As for my post, it is my honest experience. I am not a one post member who signed up for a glowing ';testimonial'; here. It%26#39;s a sad state when we cannot post honest and unbiased opinions here at the risk of someone coming in and making unfounded accusations of spamming.




My husband once used a free voucher for shirt %26amp; trousers from Rajawongse. He could have joined the circus in those trousers. The shirt shrunk after the first wash and sleeves had lost 2 cms in length.



Perhaps we are very fussy. But we like to be well dressed.





Did you notice that you never see any Thai or Japanese business men in these Sukhumvit tailor shops?



These guys don%26#39;t wear their trousers too short and the jacket fits where it touches.



After 40 years overseas we have learnt to go where the locals go.



There are real tailors out there. But they don%26#39;t do a 24hr job nor a 500 Bht shirt.




Sorry to hear about your bad experience. No, I guess I haven%26#39;t seen any Japanese or Chinese businessmen in Rajawongse, but I have seen expat company directors (including myself), diplomats and others who know how to dress well and how a suit or tux should fit. Yes, we even know how to tie a proper bow tie and no, we do not wear clip-ons. In my case, the fit was absolutely perfect with my tux. For example, I have a slightly lower shoulder on one site, and the tailor there adjusted the shoulder pads from one side to the other to make everything look completely even. I liked the material as well.





Just my experience....




Thank you for your input Tookay,



I do get a little frustrated when you ask for some advice and people just post negative responses,



it%26#39;s fine to say ';I don%26#39;t see Thai buisnessmen...';



Where do these people buy their suits ?




Yes, I agree totally with Tookay:



Yes, they are in Sukhumvit, but that doesn%26#39;t necessarily mean that it%26#39;s a ';tourist trap';. Sukhumvit is the area with a large concentration of resident expats as well as tourists, so it%26#39;s a logical place to locate a tailor shop that is geared towards westerners.





I have been going to Pinky already 20 years and he has made several suits etc. for my husband and several jackets etc. to myself and never failed.



Price you have to ask him directly, it depends on materials too.

No comments:

Post a Comment